- Keep cars off the street during the winter overnight parking ban (bans occur when there is expecting over 7cm of snow and are from 1:00a.m. to 7:00a.m.)
- Proper placement of waste/recycling bins (off the street)
- Be patient, keep 15 metres behind snow ploughs and never pass them
- Properly plan your route, and allocate yourself the appropriate amount of time to travel, keeping in mind the weather
The Snow Go Program
Need help clearing your driveway and/or walkway during the winter? The Snow Go Program provides a matching service for seniors and people with disabilities looking to hire an individual or contractor to clear snow from private driveways and walkways. Residents who participate in this program are responsible for paying the individual or contractor removing the snow.
The Snow Go Assist Program
This program provides financial assistance to eligible low-income older adults or persons with disabilities looking to hire an individual or contractor to clear snow from private driveways and walkways. Approved participants may be reimbursed for 50 per cent of the cost of snow clearing per event, up to a seasonal maximum of $250.
To be eligible to receive Snow Go Assist Program funding, participants must provide proof that they meet all of the program objectives:
- The Program provides financial assistance to seniors and persons with disabilities for the purposes of ensuring mobility.
- Participants must be physically unable to clear snow from their private driveway and/or walkway due to their own disability.
- Participants must lack resources (people and/or financial) to arrange for clearing of snow from their private driveway and/or walkway.
Participants must provide proof of active enrolment in one or more of the following programs to prove that they meet the program objectives:
- GIS (Guaranteed Income Supplement)
- ODSP (Ontario Disability Support Program)
- Canada Pension Plan Disability Benefit
- Ontario Works plus proof of disability and/or senior (60 year or older)
- Essential Health and Social Supports plus proof of disability and/or senior (60 year or older)
- Home Help plus proof of disability and/or senior (60 year or older)
- Low income senior or person with a disability (proof may be required)
- Special Circumstances may be considered. Detailed proof must be provided.
Snow Angel Program
Do you know a Snow Angel who deserves recognition?
A Snow Angel is a neighbour or friend that has volunteered to help you, or someone you know who is elderly or has a disability, to improve their accessibility during the winter by clearing snow or ice from their driveway, steps or walkway.
If you know of a resident of Ottawa who is a Snow Angel, the City of Ottawa wants to thank them!
Snow Angels will be recognized with a certificate signed by the Mayor and a custom keychain with a snowflake symbol and Ottawa logo.
To nominate a resident for recognition as a Snow Angel, please give the City the name and address of the candidate, as well as relevant details (who they are helping and how) by one of the following methods:
Mail: Attention: Paul McCann, City of Ottawa, 100 Constellation Crescent, 5th floor, K2G 6J8
Fax: 613-580-9605 Attention: Paul McCann
For more information about any of these programs please contact the Rural Ottawa South Support Services at 613-692-4697 ext. 241.