Province changes rules for Livestock Compensation Program

Changes to the Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program have been announced by the Province of Ontario to become effective April 1, 2012. The program provides financial assistance to producers whose livestock, poultry and honey bees have been damaged by wildlife. The Rural Affairs Office administers the program for the City of Ottawa.

Farmers wishing to make a claim in this program must now provide a Farm Business Registration number when calling 3-1-1 to report their livestock loss. Unregistered farms will no longer be eligible for the compensation program. 3-1-1 Contact Centre staff can only dispatch a Livestock Valuer to registered farms.

In addition, prior to receiving their compensation, participating farms will be required to obtain a Premises ID number from OnTrace at or 1-888-388-7223.

Please visit the Ontario Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Rural Affairs website at for information on the changes to the program. For information on processing claims visit the City’s Rural Affairs Office at or call 3-1-1.


Annual agricultural burn permits

If you are applying for an Annual Agricultural Burn Permit, you must provide a copy of your Farm Business Registration Number at the time of application. If you are not the owner of the property, you must provide written authorization from the landowner giving you permission to apply for a permit for that location. This permit will allow you to burn windrows fires overnight from Monday to Friday. These types of fires are usually left to burn for days at a time due to their size (i.e. 50 metres in length, 5 metres in width and 3 metres in height) and require supervision at all times. Find out more about open air fire permits.