September 14, 2011
Many historic events took place in 1844, such as Dominican Republic gaining independence, the YMCA was founded, the first electric telegram was sent by Samuel Morse, and 1844 also marked the year that Louis Riel was born. However, the most historically significant event in 1844 took place right here in Rideau-Goulbourn: the Inaugural Richmond Fair, commonly referred to (by me) as the best fair in the world! September 15-18 marks the 167th anniversary of this great event put on by the Richmond Agricultural Society. Each year, Richmond residents and others from surrounding areas come to experience the best of the Greater Ottawa area’s rural life – prepared foods from local kitchens, crops, livestock and machinery. The Richmond Fair is instrumental in raising awareness of agricultural practices and reminding suburban and urban members of the community of how they benefit from their rural neighbours.
This year’s Richmond Fair also marks the first time I will be in my booth as your Councillor. Aside from a small period of time on Sunday, you can find me at my booth near the arena from Friday morning until Sunday evening. I look forward to seeing everyone out at the Fair and in the Parade. Stop by and say hello!
The full schedule of events is listed on the Richmond Fair web site (http://www.richmondfair.ca), but here are just a few highlights from the extensive list:
Thursday, September 15 (evening only) - Family Night
Friday, September 16 - Agriculture Awareness Day
Saturday, September 17 - Scotiabank Day
Sunday, September 18 - Tomlinson Day
- Kiddyland (free entertainment for the children)
- Countryside Petting Farm & Pony Rides
- Little Ray's Endangered Ontario Reptiles
- Milord Entertainment's - Flying Fools High Dive Show (New)
- West Coast Lumberjack Show
- Rock Climbing
- Rideau Valley Wildlife Sanctuary Bingo (New)
- Land O Lakes Klown and Face Painting Shrine Unit
- Agriculture Awareness & Educational Displays
- Working Displays of Antiques in Motion
- Wagon Ride Tours of the Grounds for Seniors
- Youth & Family Entertainment (Outdoor Stage)
- Bavarian Gardens and Entertainment in the Arena
- Robertson Amusements Midway
- OC Transpo Weekend Service from Kanata Park & Ride, Stittsville and Fallowfield Park & Ride (New)
Visit the Richmond Fair Web site at www.richmondfair.ca to see the full details of admission. Please note that only service dogs are allowed on the grounds during the Fair.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns please send me an email at Scott.Moffatt@ottawa.ca or call my office at 613-580-2491.