From Scott's column:
Due to a Special Meeting of the Community and Protective Services Committee on April 7th, the regular meeting of the Agriculture and Rural Affairs Committee has been moved to Friday, April 15th. The time and location are the same as usual; 10:00am at Ben Franklin Place. Items on the agenda include the following:
- Surplus Farm Severance Zoning Amendments for 4740 John Shaw Road, 5883 McCordick Road, 3244 Shea Road, 6096 Third Line Road
- Flood Plain Mapping Updates: Carp River, Cardinal Creek, John Boyce MD, Osgoode Garden/Cedar Acres MD
- Appointment of an Engineer for the Faulkner Municipal Drain
- Court of Revision for O’Keefe Municipal Drain
- Omnibus Amendments to the Zoning By-Law
With the Omnibus Zoning By-Law is something that is of great interest to rural farmers. One of the amendments expands the zones in which farmers’ markets and market stands can set up in. Prior to this amendment, stands were only permitted in commercial zones. This issue came to a head last year when a local farm stand was refused permission to operate in a church parking lot. This amendment fixes that and expands the use of farmers’ market to Major Institutional Zones, Community Leisure Facility Zones and Rural Commercial Zones. Further, the specific use pertaining to a market stand is expanded to number of new areas as well including the parking lot of churches, municipal centres, arena and other recreation facilities.
An additional item in the Omnibus Zoning By-Law is floodplain mapping updates to the Richmond Marketplace property and the Richmond Nursery property. Following further review, it was determined that the floodplain mapping was inaccurate and this amendment will reflect that. Subsequently, the zoning will be updated to reflect the current mapping.